Sparrow's Birthday Dolly: Part 1

posted on: Monday, August 22, 2011


Here she is! The sewing project that I was working on this past week!  A very special little baby bird, Sparrow Song Mathis, had her first birthday party yesterday and to celebrate I made her this dolly.  Not only was it a day to celebrate her birthday, it was also the 1 year anniversary of her coming out of her first open heart surgery. It was a double celebration! Every girl needs a handmade friend to have adventures and tea parties with, don't they?  ;)

I had the most enjoyable and fun time crafting this pretty little thing.  I looked around online and found a few dolls that I liked, picked out some vintage fabrics that I had in my collection and made my own pattern. The ribbons and trims are from my grandma on Sam's side of the family. She gave me a few bags full of sewing goodies last Christmas that she had from the 50's and 60's. It was fabulous! I'm thinking about making a few more of these little beauties. Maybe even a little boy one, with suspenders for Káel!? Eeee! I used to make dolls all the time, before I moved away to school, got married and became a mommy. I'm kinda thinking that it might make a comeback in my life. ;)

I took some pictures along the way, as I stitched and pinned, so you could see.  Tomorrow, I'll be posting a few more pictures of her, in another outfit that I made, especially for the birthday girl's party and some pictures of Sparrow opening her surprise!!! Enjoy beauties!



I just guessed and tweaked my drawn on pattern as I went. No mistakes in creating...just happy accidents. ;)

The easiest way to sew doll arms and legs is to trace or draw your pattern directly onto the fabric, pin and then sew along the lines...THEN cut them out. It will take you several more frustrated minutes if you cut it out before you stitch it up. 

This sewing machine has been my friend since I was 13. Kenmore's are my fav. 

Her little, long, lanky plaid legs. A yard of fabric I found several months ago at a thrift mall. 

Pin with her legs and arms inside, stitch her and then turn her right side out! I added a about a 1/3 cup of rice in her bottom so she would be weighted a little.
I added a little rosette the night before the party...She needed a flower in her hair. ;)

I have never made doll clothes from felt before, it was pretty simple. I love this little 60's style shrug! 

Fall boots...it's going to get cold soon. 
 Sparrow's  mom and dad both have tattoos and I thought it would be kinda cool to tie that in. I had seen another amazing doll have something similar and I went for it. It's one of my favorite things about her. 

I hope you enjoyed watching my creative process! I can't wait to show you tomorrow's post! Have a very pretty day. 

26 thoughts:

  1. I loved that doll! In person it is even more beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was really the cutest thing i have ever seen jess! so inspiring! I cant wait for my someday baby to have a forrest fairy doll :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess...are you serious!?!? you are so talented, it's like everything you do has a magic touch! you could open a business with these dolls, she is the absolute cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess!! This is sooo so sooo adorable! I've been wanting to make a little doll for Adoration....but my sewing machine broke(it's super old, was my mother in laws.)
    The tat is my favorite too. so sweet. I bet Jessie just went crazy when Sparrow opened it!
    so glad all your creative juices are flowing again and that your finding time for that part of your heart. :) love you and miss you! I so wish we could have a crafting day together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww how absolutely lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This little dollie is so sweet! Full of character and adorable to boot. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. charis-yes please. ;)

    margaret-awww you are SO sweet girl! thanks! i'm kinda thinking that i might dig deeper into the thought of custom making more and selling them. eee!

    kristina-hehe it was really sweet to watch! it felt SOOOO good to make something and enjoy it so much! i miss you like CRAZY! we could have a skype craft day!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. so adorable! love all the vintage fabrics and trims you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable! Open a shop and sell these things... please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You HAVE to sell these Jess! They are just too darn cute not to make them available for others to enjoy!

    I LOVE the fabrics you chose and how you made her long and graceful (like you!). This screams with your creativity and fun self! You just gotta do it!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. she is wonderful! what a sweet, handmade gift ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jess she is perfect! :) You are created to create that is FOR SURE! I hope you do open an etsy store soon. This makes me so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome Jess, love it!!!! When Anth and I have babies my little girl wants one:) Selling them on etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's so gorgeous! good work jess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All this blog is really sweet, free and soft. I cryed lots of times and really enjoy! A kiss for you, and only good things for your baby and your family! obs:sorry for my english!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am back, to let a blog for you. I live in Belgium but iam from Brasil. In my country we are realy boho, in belgium they are not, all its more classical (what have charm too, and lots of vintage). I will let for you a blog of a store really boho and nice from Brasil. they have the site and the blog, i will let all!

    http://www.farmrio.com.br/adoro/frames.php?url=/adoro/?

    http://www.farmrio.com.br/adoro/tag/look-book/

    i hope you will enjoy!
    Kiss
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh jess, this is the most amazing doll EVER!! Julianna's 5th bday is october 4th, if you are ever feeling inspired again! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so pretty - wish my little angel could have one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks a lot like lori marie's dolls. http://shop.lorimarie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just love your doll! I wish we were friends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jess, I just found your blog when looking for a DIY doll project for my daughter's first birthday. This doll is gorgeous - thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These posts and this doll is beautiful. What a lovely gift. I was wondering if you have any tips for designing/creating a pattern for a doll as I am wanting to make a doll for

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oops that was only half the comment. A friends daughters birthday coming up. That's how I found your blog actually looking at DIY dolls. I'd love to create my own but not sure how to make a pattern. If you have any tips that would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you sell these or have a pattern!? I love the longer legged dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is a beautiful doll! Will try to sew one for my little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...