Boho Home: Pop of Color

posted on: Sunday, March 4, 2012



My home, for the most part, has a very light, airy and rustic feel. Lately, I've been craving subtle pops of color. I love simplicity and don't want my peaceful spaces to become cluttered and busy with too many patterns (which is VERY easy for me to do). My living room used to be crammed full of vintage nick knacs, antique books, rich, deep colors and old instruments. I LOVED it that way, but when Káel started to crawl, I decided to change it up, lighten my color palette and simplify. Now, almost 2 years later, I want to compromise and bring a touch of texture and splash of bold color in. I've been gathering inspiration and trying to form some sort of clear direction so that I can start collecting pieces to satisfy my crazy boho soul. 

I have a huge, distressed leather sofa similar to this and am thinking I might love a littler cultured texture like this.
source
love those pillows. I need to take a trip to Jerusalem again.
source 
the colors of my decor in my house, for the most part, looks like this picture and the one below, but without the sea foam green or mustard yellow. I'm thinking I could pick a bold, but semi muted color and paint my dining room chairs for some extra personality.
source
source

This is a tad on the busy side...leaning more toward how I used to decorate, but I just love that crazy patchwork looking curtain used as a room divider. <3
source
source
source

17 thoughts:

  1. I love/hate to think about these things myself since we haven't settled down yet. We're renting and we're probably moving soon so we've put the kabosh on buying new furniture (even though we need it). I am YEARNING for the day we can settle down. I love all the pictures you posted especially those first two couches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally adore the quilt used as the room divider. it'd be such a fun way to brighten up a room!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love those pillows and that crazy patchwork curtain. I tried to take out so much busy color too, but I realized my kids loved it, and that's just the way I rolled, so I am absolutely swimming in it again. At least my rooms are incredibly bright and happiness filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i need me some bright and cheery color-ness back in my life! ;) i can't live without it for very long!

      Delete
  4. Those are all gorgeous pictures. I would love to see what your house looks like now and after you add the color! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! i'll def document the process and post some pics of what i've got to work with now! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the pillows in the second picture as well! I love home furnishings from different countries, it give a pop of color but also some culture as well! Love the pictures you posted. I am looking forward to pictures of your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to color! Ive been doing the same thing. My house was feeling too "country." wish we could do these projects together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to live in ALL of these rooms. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of adding different textures into a space. I've got leather furniture in my living room like the first couple photos and I think it's a great jumping off point to get more adventurous with one or two bold colors and various textiles around it. I watch 'Style by Emily Henderson' and she totally breathes your style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The things I love about this!:
    1. The textures! I love the mix of the bold and boho and modern. It's like showcasing certain items (i.e. pillows, rug)
    2. I love the use of the fireplace for books! BRILLIANT.
    3. Dining room chairs (bold color, different chairs, etc). The only person who taught me I couldn't have mismatched chairs was everyone born before the 70's! I have already started my mismatch chairs collection and it looks amazing.

    I love that you can have bohemian, gypsy touches to the organized, simple feel of modern (ikea is a great example of this). I'm so excited to see where your house goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those couch pillows! They would probably spruce up our boring, canvas colored ikea couch haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriosuly? I did't know that your style had change that much! I LOVE these pictures! Though I'm still a bit too afraid of colors;) I do have a very bright blue couch and retro green tiles on my kitchen, so I guess I'm on my way, hehe. But rustic...ahhh... I LOVE rustic! and nature. Can't wait to see pics of your home! Or.. skype tour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much lovely!!! i just want it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, am hoping to bring color and texture into our home. I love mismatched kitchen chairs and that room divider....so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my. that first photograph of the distressed leather lounge was in my local home decor shop's catalogue, here, in australia.. dude. i want it. so. bad.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...