Dinner Helper

posted on: Friday, May 25, 2012












I don't know what has happened to me. Perhaps it was the mice scandal that kicked my booty into a cleaning, cooking and all things purged and organized mode. They say it takes 2 or 3 weeks to form a new habit, right? Well, Lord let me tell you, it's a miracle to my little mommy soul. I wake up every morning to a sparkling kitchen that I cleaned the night before and a living room that is tidy and clean! Whatever it is, it's fabulous! I'm nesting hardcore and just able to keep my little home more spick and span, with way less mental effort. With that re-found housewife awareness, the love of meal planning and "from scratch" cooking has resurfaced. Who knows how long it will last, hopefully it will carry through the birth of baby boy #2. While I'm at my pinnacle of womanly confidence (I have to giggle at myself right now) I am milking it for all it's worth.

I'm finding that being a mom of a toddler and pregnant, requires more intentional effort for me to do things outside of the ordinary and mundane. Most of you are probably like, "duh." But, for me it's finally resonated in my soul. Another 6 months will zoom past me and carry me away with it, unless I purpose otherwise.

Anyways...the purpose of this blog post wasn't for me to share my heart thoughts on coming out of the little shadow of the everyday tired syndrome that shades many of us tired mommies. It was to share a snippet of a precious memory that happened this week. I decide to make another one of The Pioneer Woman's yummy recipes, "Cajun Chicken Pasta" for my brood of boys. I had a little helper and I quickly grabbed my camera to freeze time for my future self. Kael LOOOOOOOVES helping me cook and bake. It's precious and the biggest joy explosion to my heart.

Take that right there, "Kael loves to help me cook." Would it be faster and probably less stressful to just keep him out from under foot and prepare meals and treats more quickly? Heck yes. But, taking the time and allowing him to stir that bowl of egg stuff for the quiche, or dump that cup of diced peppers into the pasta, that is holding onto my moments and enjoying him. It's the sugar of my soul. It makes life all that more fabulous and enjoyable for both of us. Are there days and meals where he wants to help and I just don't have the energy or bandwidth to do the whole shebang? Of course. But intentionally stopping my 'busy' flow and enjoying my son is the most precious treasure I have and I'm learning to really have a lifestyle of cherishing his moments.

As far as dinner, oh my gosh, SO DANG GOOD! I added fresh corn corn on the cob (a bit in the pasta and on the side)  seasoned and slightly blacked to the pasta! It was YUUUUUUMMY! You should try it! You can click HERE for the recipe. :)

Hope you have a lovely weekend filled with amazing simple moments!

Jess

13 thoughts:

  1. That's so precious:) I'll have to try that recipe (it's making my mouth water and it's 10:30 in the morning!)
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had it for breakfast 2 mornings in a row, so no judgement here! haha!

      Delete
  2. dude, its midnight here and i want some. so dang keen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...oh man... it makes a TON, which made I had it for breakfast and late night snacks. haha. so good!

      Delete
  3. Love it All! I often wonder how mommas of two (or soon to be two out of the belly) little ones do it all...I can barely keep up with one sweet babe! Thanks for sharing your life with us. Appreciate your honesty and encouragement. Kael is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know how they do it. it's intimidating to me when I think about it. I guess I'll find out this fall. haha. thank you girl!!

      Delete
  4. How adorable is your little man? He's going to be a ladykiller when he grows up. But I'm sure you already know that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PW is the woMAN! I love her cinnamon rolls recipe (I make them anytime I have overnight company) and im a sucker for her pasta a quattro (or something like that) with steamed broccoli. YUM. It's so important to involve the kiddos in daily housework and cooking, Kael is going to be a wonderful hubby for that. You rock mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boy's so cute! Great post and pics. Dying to try the recipe. :)

    Just followed you on Google Friend Connect. Hope I get a follow back. Thank you! :)

    www.themommist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your little boy has grown up soooo much, he is just gorgeous :-)

    Your blog and pregnancy pictures and videos gave me so much courage when I had my little boy Luca last August. I often stopped by, but have never commented before so a very belated thank you all the way from Liverpool in the UK!

    We are going through the 'crawling and into everything stage' at the moment so my blogging days are now few and far between lol!) hence I didn't realise you were expecting again, or your friends Matt and Kara - HUGE congratulations to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is SO cute!


    love the blog girl! can't wait to read more! :)






    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are all perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful pics, and dinner looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts...